|ZGF Architects - St. Anthony Hospital in Gig Harbor, Washington - Page 3|
|Tuesday, 07 December 2010 08:29|
Page 3 of 3
Water Conservation and Re-use
· A stormwater catchment system filters runoff returning it to the wetlands.
· During construction a one million gallon storm water detention pond and filtration system helped to control erosion, slowly dispersing filtered storm water back into the greenbelt.
· The healing garden includes a water feature using recycled water.
Energy and Atmosphere
· Interior and exterior material palettes celebrate nature. Stone and wood, reflecting the region, integrate the building into the landscape and create a soothing atmosphere.
· Extensive use of natural light minimizes overhead lighting and reduces electrical loads.
· Automatic shut-down of garden and nonessential lighting during non-peak hours helps reduce electrical loads.
· Where possible (e.g. dining area, patient rooms) daylighting controls allow energy needs to be managed by users.
· Downward focused exterior and signage lighting reduces light pollution.
· An innovative HVAC heat recovery system recycles steam and helps meet part of the hospital’s heating needs.
Materials and Resources
· Low-VOC paints, adhesives, sealants, and carpets reduce harmful fumes.
· Rubber flooring (in lieu of vinyl) reduces the need for damaging cleaning chemicals while maintaining strict hospital infection control standards.
· During construction separate containers were provided for concrete, metal, wood, and gypsum.
Promoting Alternative Transportation
· Nature trails throughout the wooded hospital campus adjoin with an existing public pedestrian path and nearby park-and-ride.
· Bike parking spaces are provided for visitors and staff.
· Two locally-served transit stops are integrated into the new hospital; one at the hospital and one at the medical office building.
Owner: Franciscan Health System, Tacoma, Washington
Architect: ZGF Architects LLP, Seattle, Washington
General Contractor: Sellen Construction, Seattle, Washington
Developer: The Hammes Company, Seattle, Washington
Structural Engineer: PCS Structural Solutions, Tacoma, Washington
Mechanical Engineer: CDi Engineers, Lynnwood, Washington
Electrical Engineer: Coffman Engineers, Seattle, Washington
Civil Engineer: DOWL Engineers, Redmond, Washington
Landscape Architect: SiteWorkshop, Seattle, Washington
Owner, Medical Office Building: Frauenshuh Healthcare Real Estate Solutions, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Total Area: 250,000 SF
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 07 December 2010 10:05|